Do you sit at a desk all day, in front of a computer? The most movement you get all day is getting up to go to the restroom?
Studies show that sedentary jobs lead to unhealthy snacking and decreased physical activity. With these two factors alone, your job is adding on the pounds.
Here are some tips to help make sure you don’t let your job get in the way of leading a healthy life:
1. Don’t eat at your desk. If you are hungry eat in the break room. This prevents mindless eating!
2. Every hour take a lap around the office and get up and stretch.
3. If you are on a phone call make it mobile by using your blue tooth and take a walk while talking.
4. Keep healthy snacks in the lunchroom to avoid the doughnuts, cake, and vending machines.
5. Drink plenty of water. Avoid the high calorie coffee/smoothie drinks and pop.
Besides just getting moving and not overeating at work you should build a workout into your schedule either before or after work. Keep clothes and shoes packed every day. Make a plan and commit to it. For example, if you have an appointment to see your trainer every Tuesday and Thursday before or after work, make it a point to stay consistent and do your cardio at that same time on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This helps keep a routine, so it becomes like brushing your teeth. You do it every day!
So, get moving and don’t let your job make you fat.